Wednesday, October 18, 2017

MEET AND GREET - JOE KRISTAN




Today we meet Joe Kristan of Eide Bailly LLP, formerly of Roth and Company PC, from Iowa.  For many years Joe wrote the popular and well-respected tax blog THE ROTH AND COMPANY TAX UPDATE BLOG, known for its daily BUZZ-like tax blog Roundup.  Many, myself included, were truly sorry to see the end of this blog.
 
Many years ago, I asked Joe why he blogs for an article I wrote for the NATP TAXPRO JOURNAL.   Here is what he said -
 
I blog because I enjoy it, and because I think it is good for me professionally.  I have long started my day reading the tax news, so it wasn't a big leap to start commenting about it.  I think it helps keep me sharp, and it helps me stay current on the ideas and issues out there.  And, of course, there's the glamour, fan adulation and women.  Well, ok, none of those things, but there should be.”
 
Joe is correct – there should be!
 
He still provides a daily roundup of important tax-related blog posts via Twitter. 
 
1. First question – why taxes?
 
Interesting work, pays better than meat cutting, and is much easier on the hands.
 
2. How did you get started in “the business”?
 
When an undergraduate History major in my sophomore year, word filtered back of my fellow liberal arts majors finding bleak job prospects (@1979-80). I looked in the newspaper (yes, I’m that old) and saw lots of jobs for accountants. I took an accounting course, did well, and the rest followed.
 
3. How did you learn how to prepare tax returns?
 
By doing tax returns.
 
4. What is your area of special interest?
 
Professionally – closely-held businesses and their owners. My avocation is tax policy, particularly “incentive” tax credits.
 
5. What's the best tax advice that anyone ever gave you?
 
If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
 
6. If you had the opportunity to rewrite the US Tax Code what deductions, credits, etc would you keep and what deductions, credits, etc would you do away with?
 
You’d need a bigger blog. If we keep something like the current system, I’d do away with every tax credit I can think of, other than for taxes paid and foreign taxes. I would get rid of any non-economic business deduction (sec. 199, for example). I would get rid of all itemized deductions except charity, gambling losses and hobby losses (I would still limit the loss deductions as now), and move those above the line.
 
7. Do you think the government, specifically the IRS, should license and regulate all tax preparers?
 
No.
 
8. Other than THE WANDERING TAX PRO or THE TAX PROFESSIONAL, what's your favorite tax related blogs or web sites?
 
I like so many, but Russ Fox’s blog is a great, practical tax pro blog.
 
9. If you weren't working in the tax profession, what would your dream job be?
 
Prosperous mandolinist. Well, you said “dream.”
 
10. What is your favorite –
 
TV show - Ummm… baseball games, I guess
Movie – “The incredibles”
Broadway musical – “The Music Man”
 
JK has always been vocal in his opposition to regulating tax preparers.  We debated the issue in our blogs back when the IRS first proposed the RTRP regime and he truly won me over.
 
A good choice in Russ Fox’s TAXABLE TALK blog.
 
Interesting, and surprising, choices for dream job and favorite movie.  As for musical, the original production of THE MUSIC MAN, with Robert Preston and Barbara Cook, was the first Broadway musical I saw at age 5.  And the revival was the first musical I saw in the new millennium.
 
Thanks to Joe for participating.
 
Before I go, do you have any questions you would like me to add to my list?
 
TAFN
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment